Let's Give Mariska Hargitay A Break



Oh, Mariska.
She's one of my favorite television actresses. She plays the role of Olivia on Law and Order: SUV with sublime toughness and sensitivity. Still, she probably doesn't even know about the confusion she's caused in the fluffy community.

Well, in case you haven't heard, here's what happened: In the current edition of Self Magazine, Hargitay spoke to an interviewer about getting back in shape after having her son. The 44-year-old talks about how important is to keep her energy up so that she can be an active mom. She gives a perfectly healthy outlook on life and body image, and then says, "Everything in moderation. It's not about being fat or thin. I'm a full-figured woman." Yes, yes, and "huh"? I dare someone to call Mariska Hargitay full-figured and mean it. Apparently, judging by the comments HERE and HERE, lots of other people feel the same way. At first blush it must feel a lot like the Whitney-As-Top-Model controversy all over again.

But when I really think about it, everything is relative. In Hollywood, on the red carpet, surrounded by those frighteningly thin chicks from Desperate Housewives, a size 6 is certainly the fuller figure.




Hargitay also has a familial claim to the curvy mantle. Her mother was Jane Mansfield, one of the original bombshells (an O.B.!) as far as Hollywood is concerned. It might make sense for Hargitay to feel like full-figured-ness is in her blood. I don't even know if she feels exactly that way, but certainly the idea of the full-figured woman isn't foreign to her. Anyway, that's my take on it. I'd love to know what you think. Let me know by clicking on comments.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Mariska too; her acting and her look. I think that everything is relative, including an idea of "full-figure". It depends on what is around us — if size 6 is full-figured than Mariska is full figured. And it depends about how we feel about ourselves. I knew a plenty of anorexic or pre-anorexic women who considered themselves fat. Well, these are only my 2¢ ;)

Unknown said...

Wow... would never consider her full-figured but hey, too each her own. The trick is not comparing her to ourselves. Admittedly hard to do but it is all relative as they say.

Moe a.k.a. @biggirlblue said...

I think full-figured has different connotations for different people. In the past I would have called her "chesty" but not "full-figure" but from the latest photos I wouldn't even call her that. She's a lot slimmer than she use to be. But remember a lot of people who lose wait don't necessarily get the lost weight mentality. I've always loved her and don't think every said in magazines should be taken to heart. They are only glimpses of the whole conversation.

Brickhouse said...

I am so enjoying these comments! Thanks to all of you for stopping by. Can't wait to get over to visit!

Anonymous said...

Jayne Mansfield is her mother??!?!?! WOW, I never knew that. I never even knew her name despite forever staying up late to watch Law & Order on TV. Anyhow, I personally wouldn't consider her full figured but I can see her point. I also think shes addressing the fact that shes not Hollywood thin and has some curves. Not dangerous curves but a few curves. Now if she'd called herself plus size I'd have had to walk!

Anonymous said...

i love mariska she is an wonderful actress and i think she is a beautiful full figured woman. dhe iis the perfect size she's not a tooth pick or whale. SHE'S PERFECT

Blog Widget by LinkWithin